Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Happiness

Was reading an article on "The Keys to Happiness, and Why We Don't Use Them"
By Robin Lloyd, Special to LiveScience

From the article I picked up some points:
"Happiness is 50 percent genetic, other half of the challenge depends largely on determination."

"Happiness does not come via prescription drugs, Nor will money or prosperity buy happiness for many of us."

So I wonder, how does one try to get happiness?

"One route to more happiness is called "flow," an engrossing state that comes during creative or playful activity,"

It comes less from WHAT you're doing than from HOW you do it.

"Make lists of things for which you're grateful in your life, practice random acts of kindness, forgive your enemies, notice life's small pleasures, take care of your health, practice positive thinking, and invest time and energy into friendships and family."

"Research shows that people who are grateful, optimistic and forgiving have better experiences with their lives, more happiness, fewer strokes, and higher incomes"

Is unhappiness by default?

"If you are looking for something to complain about, you are absolutely certain to find it. It requires some effort to achieve a happy outlook on life, and most people don't make it. Most people take the path of least resistance. Far too many people today don't make the steps to make their life more fulfilling one."

So, after reading the article, I concluded in my opinion...
If you are unhappy, you can only put 50% of the blame on your parents (ok, mom and dad you're accountable for 50%) hahaha..

That 'flow' theory.. hmm..so people whose jobs are in the 'creative, playful field' are more happy? (Since most of us will have to work for a long time, probably at least 20-30 years of our life)..Think back though, don't most of our parents say, 'ah gal/ah boy, when u grow up, must be doctors, lawyers, engineers..earn alot and you will be happy' Do you hear alot of them say 'yeah ok, go be musicians? artists? dancers?' They will most likely be stomping their feet, beating chest and yelling, "Aiyo..why like that arrr, my kid so no use", if you tell them u want to be a musician!

Then the articles goes on to say, it is the HOW - the process, the journey of what you do with your life that give you happiness and not the WHAT

I do agree on the last few points they made, it is the HOW (journey), people I know who are happy tend to exhibit most of those qualities as mentioned.

So am I unhappy (by default) since I can easily find something to complaint about? I see the time when I can complaint as "letting off 'steam'" which in turns helps to 'unload' my unhappiness' (makes me happier?) and lower my blood pressure ;))

How is my soul doing?

What Your Soul Really Looks Like
You are very passionate and quite temperamental. While you can be moody, you always crave comfort.
You are a very grounded, responsible, and realistic person. People may not want to hear the truth from you, but they're going to get it.
You see yourself with pretty objective eyes. How you view yourself is almost exactly how other people view you.
Your near future is a lot like the present, and as far as you're concerned, that's a very good thing.
For you, love is all about caring and comfort. You couldn't fall in love with someone you didn't trust.

Inside the Room of Your Soul


Not too bad I have to say :)

Cheerios and keep smiling!
With Love from PoohBear

4 comments:

nyonyapenang said...

You have a very normal soul. :)

winniethepooh said...

thats what I think too nyoyapenang :)

Lee said...

I am happiest when I hear my wife laugh. She is happiest when she sees me polish off two plates of her cooking.
Together we are happy. UL.

winniethepooh said...

People who are easily contented are always happy. Simple wish that is fulfilled everyday, Uncle Lee u sure are a happy guy every single day!

I am happy when my hubby goes for second servings too! ;)