Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dumplings festival

Mom reminded me that today (in the lunar calendar) is the 5th day of the 5th month which is also known as 'duan wu jie' or the 'dumpling festival'..arhhh...time to eat rice dumplings or 'bak chang' as we used to call it back home.

I only saw the 'red bean' dumpling the other day in the asian grocery that we frequent..but me, I love my bak chang in 'meat style'! hahaha (meat eater lah, cannot help it :P). Let me take u on a little tour of a few of my favourites...

Salted Rice Dumpling This dumpling is wrapped using bamboo leaves with fried glutinous rice and the filling of chestnut, mushroom and pork cubes marinaded with five spices. A typical Chinese style rice dumpling

Nonya Rice Dumpling This dumpling is wrapped using pandan leave with white glutinous rice and the filling of fine pork cubes fried with coriander powders. A typical Singapore Nonya style rice dumpling.

Salted Rice Dumpling with egg yolk. This dumpling is wrapped using bamboo leaves with fried glutinous rice and the filling of egg yolk, chestnut, mushroom and pork cubes marinaded with five spices. A Chinese style rice dumpling with more fillings

Chilli-Shrimps Rice Dumpling This dumpling is wrapped using pandan leave with white glutinous rice and the filling of finely ground shrimps fried with chilli and pork cubes fried with coriander powders. A different style of Chilli- nonya rice dumpling

My most favourite is the Chilli-shrimps Rice dumplings..ah ma used to make these really spicy and really meaty and they always taste so yummyyy..and of course, my galfriend Pearline, the rice dumpling that her mom make is also one of the best. With scallop inside..ohhhhh yumm yummm..how I miss all these bak chang..might be one of this day, I'll try to make too :P

Happy duan wu jie!

Cheerios and keep smiling!
With love from PoohBear

10 comments:

Jonzz said...

Oh yummy. Now I'm in the mood to eat some dumplings!

J.T. said...

I want Bak Chang!!!!!! hahaha

Thanks for the breakdown on the different kinds of bak chang. I always thought there were two kinds - meat and no meat. Now I know! :D

I like the one loaded with meat. yummm....

winniethepooh said...

hahaha, jonzz, after u finish eating, can send me a few? :p

winniethepooh said...

j.t. I want bak chang too!!! *look at jonzz, waiting hor waiting hor* hehehehe

ure welcome j.t. :) ^5 j.t. loaded with meats one..yeah yeah yeah :))There's the one with no meats or with redbean fillings ones, but no no, i love mine with lots of meat too! heheeh

I wonder if nyonyapenang is making those nyonya bak chang..I love those! :p~~~

Anonymous said...

I want to eat dumplings too! Esp the meat with egg yolk ones. Sad to say, I eaten none so far this year:(
Winniethepooh, just curious why do you call youself pooh. Wonder if we call ourselves pooh for the same reasons. heeeheee.

winniethepooh said...

how come poohbearee that you eaten none?

Coz my real name is Winnie, and i've always been nicknamed by my close gal friends 'winnie the pooh' whenever i introduce myself, i'll say oh winnie as in 'winnie the pooh' and they always goes "ahhh" cant go wrong with that one! and of course, I do love winnie the pooh too :) hehehe

Lee said...

Hello Winnie, I only love the Nyonya ones with meat, but have never eaten the ones sold in stores. My Mrs will buy often as she loves them.
Wa, I have not eaten one, can't even remember when the last time.
If you make the Nyonya ones, don't forget the gentleman who drives a white Lincoln always get hit by women drivers, huh!
Ha ha. Have a happy bak chang day, UL.
Ps, don't know whether Nyonyapenang makes them or not? Must ask her. Have a bak chang date. Heh heh.

Anonymous said...

Cos mum did not make any, nor did we buy any.

Heehee...Oh, u r called Winnie. My name is not Winnie though. I like the Pooh stories by A.A Milne. And I think of all the characters in there, I am most similar to Pooh. But I only like Classic Pooh. Not Disney Pooh. Oh! I am beginning to sound CHILDISH :P
Oh....and Poohbearee becos when I created hotmail, Poohbear etc had been used by others.

winniethepooh said...

oh Uncle Lee, do they sell those meat type of bak chang in asian gorcery? which asian gorcery do u frequent if I may know?

hehe no problem uncle lee, IF i do learn and is able to make 'triangle' bak chang, unless u wont mind hving out of shape ones hahaha i'm sure nyonyapenang must make very good bak chang..im drooling just thinking of it. :)

winniethepooh said...

orh, no wonder, well in Sg, 24 hours always can eat hehehe As and when u feel like, next day can just go to the store and grab it

Elaine, I think everyone can afford to have a little sense of childishness in them once a while; for I think there always a little 'child-likeness/'tong zhen' that lives in a corner of our heart :)

ahhh i see, thats how poohbearee comes about; circumstances always brings out the best in creativity

have a great week poohbearee!