Friday, January 12, 2007

Smile! you're on 'If Poohbear can cook, so can you!"

Since the day "The One" and I became officially independent from home, I have had to learn to cook up different taste (sweet, sour, bitter (when I over-burnt something hahaha), spicy) and inventive (from the original recipe) dishes every now and then, so that we don't get bored eating the same old dishes week after week...the days when I am being pampered with home cooked food from mom seems so farrrr away now ;P

Every so often, I have to rely on memories of the smell, taste and look to figure out which ingredients mom used to add during cooking to make the dishes and sauces..."The One" has been very brave and supportive till now in trying out dishes that I cooked hahaha (previously it used to be my brave daddy, mommy and kiddo bro who had to 'suffer' this 'torture' ;P; but, but, it hasn't been that bad, has it guys?? hehehe) Now that I'm, as the chinese says, "108,000 miles away from home", the internet has become my next best teacher for 'googling' on recipes.

Today, as usual, I wanted to try and make something different from the usual braised pork bellies dish that I have made; while 'googling' I came across a recipe on making sweet and sour (vinegar) pork bellies. As I walked my way towards the kitchen, passing the living room, I turned and 'informed' "The One" who was playing his online gaming, 'I got a new recipe and I'm going to go try cooking it now..." "The One" twitched his eyebrow, looked at me suspiciously (wondering what new recipe I've found this time to torture him hahaha), but he bravely replied, 'OK'. After about 30-40 mins in that kitchen working my 'magic' of transforming a piece of raw meat into a plate of edible dish, it is finally done! When I lay my eyes on the finished dish, I knew I was going to like it. It looked like 'restaurant-styled-cooked' (from the photo, does it?? ;)) and best of all , "The One" and I both agreed that it even tasted like 'restaurant-styled' sweet and sour pork!..I loved it, "The One" loved it too..he even asked, 'that's all? there's no more?'

It's always a great feeling and achievement whenever I cooked something nice which both of us enjoyed. As I told "The One", I hope I'm the lucky ones who 'live to eat', who's gets to enjoy my food while savouring my meals and not eat just for the sake of 'eat to live' :)


Cheerios and keep smiling!
With Love from PoohBear

2 comments:

http://chinese.yenjai.net said...

Once in a while, Skype your cooking moment back to your mum.
She will be so proud that you can cook now ^-^

winniethepooh said...

yenjai, I have to say I'm prouder of my mom more than my cooking :) my mom is one super lady, she has learnt to access the msn messenger (we chat often), she uses IRC, Email and even know how to view my blog...if all else fails, the good old telephone skill is still working! no worries at all! :)