Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Reflecting on the Winter feel..

Winter finally arrived in Canada, the days of the 'green winter' is over, temperature has fallen below 0oC and down to -oC in the days and nights...Am I enjoying it? Hmm, not really, although I always wanted to experience winter, now that its here, I don't seems to enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

The other day, I was chatting with one of my close girlfriend, Cyndi (she recalled her winter experiences when she was sent to work in Germany for 2 months). We both agreed that winter wasn't our favourite season. The sky gets dark early as the sun sets at around 4pm, sometimes, you don't even see the sun, just daylight (it's a gloomy day and makes us feel gloomy too), the troublesome thoughts of having to put on layers of clothing just to get to the mall to do the necessity of groceries shopping, the transports get delayed due to accidents, snow covered tracks, flights cancelled, delayed due to freezing rain and just in the News this morning, there might be an increase in the price of fruits (due to the cold snap in the California state of USA, a lot of the citrus fruits such as oranges are frozen and can't be exported to Canada for sales. Decrease supply, increase prices) and vegetables.

For Icewine lovers, like me, (Icewine is a wine produce unique to Canada and northeasten states of USA where grapes are left growing during the winter to be frozen naturally by the snow (photo on left), harvested and produced into icewine), you might have to pay a higher price for that one bottle of Icewine this year as the warm winter weather threatens Icewine harvest.


Photo taken by courtesy of Rivard

Whilst there were moments which I do enjoy too, such as once, when I was walking to the mall, the flurries came flying down (which is a pretty sight); Yesterday night before going to bed, I was looking out of the window and its seems pretty bright for 9pm on a winter night ("The One" was telling me that's because the whiteness of the snow reflected the moonlight, making the night seems brighter) and of course the much heard of mystery of the 'Northern Light' that can be seen in Canada during the winter months. (Hopefully one day, "The One" and I will be able to go and view this amazing, mysterious natural phenomenon)

I guess for me who grew up having the priviledge of sunshine almost 365 days a year, I am a summer gal. Give me the warmth of the sun, sound of birds chirping, sights of budding plants and the smell of blooming flowers any time! Well, till Spring and Summer comes around, long live the SUN!


Cheerios and keep smiling!
With Love from PoohBear

No comments: