Monday, May 28, 2007

Buffet thoughts...

Do you ever wonder how some people can pile their food to the tops while there are others in queue waiting to get that dish at buffets?


"The One" and I went to an Asian lunch buffet and was in the queue to get some steam fish. A Mother and her daughter were infront of me, speaking in Chinese, the mother told her daughter "get the fish, must take at least half"..When I heard what she told her gal, I was like "WHAT? take HALF??" what about the people still queueing behind ar? My God" The little gal who should be around 10 or 11, didn't want to take that much, but her Mother took till almost half the fish was gone from the tray and onto her gal's plate. I look at the little gal and her plate of 'half fish', her face turned red like tomato and kept telling the mother, 'enough enough' but the mom isn't listening. When they are done, the little gal immediately walked away so quickly as if Me, the tigress is going to eat her up or what..

Sigh..how come some people just must make their kids feel so paiseh (embarrassed)? Can always make a 2nd or 3rd trip back to get more, isn't it? Not as if the fish once gone, there wont be any more..

Is it mostly the Asians who are like that? I don't recall seeing any of the whites do that, at least in my own experiences..how come like that? hmmm..What went wrong?

Cheerios and keep smiling!
With Love from PoohBear

4 comments:

Jonzz said...

Don't know if it's really exclusive to Asians, maybe less enlightened Asians with a kiasu streak.

Pity the kid. Well, look on the bright side, if the kid is embarassed, maybe she won't follow in the mum's footsteps.

winniethepooh said...

Im think the kid won't too..after my "tigress stare" (I didn't know I look that fierce?) hahaha.

However, I do believe parent set examples for their children; for alot of our actions, thoughts and behaviours are modelled after our parent.

Anonymous said...

I agree it is an Asian thing.

Btw, winniethepooh, which country are u from? :)

winniethepooh said...

poohbearee, you think so too?

I'm a true blue SINGAPOREAN :P made (tat what i think huh), born and raised in the 'little red dot'. I came to Canada last year after marrying my hubby who's a PR here.