Wednesday, July 25, 2007

General Tso's Chicken but cooked by Winniethepooh

Actually, when I first posted recipe in my blog is to ensure my dear mommy, jie jie and friends that don't worry, I'm still surviving here..home away from home. Still eating properly, taking care of myself and "The One". Other than this reason, the other reason being, I just had to write the recipe somewhere, isnt it?! ;P instead of having to write in a book (and misplacing or just can't remember where I left it), I figure, the best is put it in blog (kill 2 birds with one stone)! Definitely wont go missing, will it? hehehe

So OK, hmm..missing the taste of Kung Pao Chicken, after googling and trying a few recipes; somehow didn't really taste like what I had in my memory. Until I came across the recipe, by the dish name "General Tso's Chicken". After trying a few recipes, this one somehow kinda 'matches' the taste that I was looking for ;) so here to share with you guys...

General Tso's Chicken!



Ingredients:
500g chicken breast, cubed
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup cornstarch (approx)

Sauce:
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons rice wine
1.5 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce

2 cloves garlic, minced
10-15 dried chili pods (to taste)
(original recipe only says 5, after trying, no kick at all, so I up it to 15 ;))

Method:
Chicken
Mix approx 1/2 cup of cornstarch and the eggs; add the chicken and toss to coat. (amount of cornstarch, add till you get a batter consistency)

Sauce
In a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 2 tsp cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce.

First-Stage Frying: Heat 1-2 inches of oil in a wok to medium-high heat.
Fry the chicken in small batches, just long enough to cook the chicken through.
Remove the chicken to absorbent paper and allow to stand

Second-Stage Frying: Leave a tablespoon or two of the oil in the wok.
Add minced garlic and dried chili pods to the oil and stir-fry briefly, (till you can smell the aroma but don't burnt them)
Return the chicken to the wok and stir-fry for few mins.
Add the sauce-mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce thicken and glazed the chicken.

Done!

Cheerios and keep smiling!
With Love from PoohBear

P/s: Kung Pao chicken suppose to have cashew nuts but I didn't have, so didn't add in ;) but if you like to and have some on hand..y not :)

16 comments:

KopiSoh said...

Good job, looks delicious too. Sometime when lazy to cook can come over kopitiam and tar pau oso :P

nyonyapenang said...

oh ya...long time i did not cook this dish already. but mine...no written recipe one.
so now, i can just pop in your blog and copy your recipe. hehehe...
thanks for sharing, winniethepooh.

Anonymous said...

y is it called general tso chicken leh?
looks yummy. share with us more recipes okie? :)

winniethepooh said...

thank you FH :) Sometime I do get lazy hehehe, the food at the kopitiam are so much more delicious than the ones I cooked hehehe ;P

winniethepooh said...

"...but mine...no written recipe one." This is then what i called EXPERT CHEF nyonyapenang! :) I oso never see my mummy going into the kitchen, holding recipe following instructions one hehehe

only 'veg bird'(newbies) like me then need to do that hehehe

Any recipe that you like, just copy yeah! Hope you enjoy the recipe too! :)

winniethepooh said...

PoohBearee, I oso dont quite know but googling the name, its seems that General Tso's chicken (Chinese: 左公鸡; Hanyu Pinyin: Zuǒ gōng jī; or 左宗堂鸡; pinyin: Zuǒ Zōngtáng jī) One theory is that the dish was a classic specialty from Hunan province, invented by General Tso's wife and served for him and his officers upon every military victory..thats why its called "General Tso's chicken"

Anyway, I dont really use those names..when "The One" thinks of this dish, he just say 'oh the one, the one with alot of dried chilli one' ahhh..that one hehehe ;)

sure sure poohbearee..my recipe all google ones, definitely can share. If you all have any easy non-fussy to make recipes, I'll love to know too :)

J.T. said...

Wow.. I have never tried cooking Gen.Tso's Chicken. It was always easier just getting it from the restaurant or from the frozen section of the supermarket. :D

Just like Nyonya Penang, I will pop in your blog for the recipe when I want to try cooking this dish.

Thanks dear. :)

winniethepooh said...

ure most welcome j.t. :) just hope it taste as good as u remembered it to be :P

have a great day!

pearly said...

wow Bravo look so nice , I want I want can I join you for diner , wow some more 15 chilli that is real good I love ku pong chicken too , here in UK can't find a best one like malaysia here your receive I must try la cost I love ku po chicken with boil rice yumm yummy xxxxx
TQ TQ for all those lovely note you leave for me when I not well TQTQ again xxxx

Lee said...

Hi Winnie, wow! You a gourmet cook! I last ate this dish in KL longggg ago. Now can't remember what it tastes like.
Can see you enjoy cooking. Bet your 007 enjoys his food, huh?
You keep well, UL.

Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonzz said...

Kung Pao chicken is called General Tso's chicken! ROFL! That's hilarious.

Yup, putting recipes in your blog is a good way for convenient access anywhere in the world.

winniethepooh said...

thank you Pearly for the compliment :) Of course, u can join us for dinner, anytime that u come to Toronto, come come yeah..I put 15 dried chilli, hubby still say, "not that hot" I told him u want hot? eat the chilli then u know HOT hehehe

If you tried, then let me know if there can be any improvement yeah? :)

You're most welcome about the notes..just a little simple that I can do for u..Take good care okie Pearly!

winniethepooh said...

Uncle Lee, thank you for the kind compliments. Me gourmet cook? hmmm..There's sooo many real gourmet cooks here like FH, nyonyapenang, j.t., Pearly and of course Mrs Lee! I better hide somewhere behind their apron hehehe

I'm sure if you ask Mrs Lee, she can Whip up a feast for u in mins too! :)

I do enjoy cooking (if the dish turns out edible!) :P so far my 007 still enjoying :)

You keep well too, Uncle Lee and have a great weekend!

winniethepooh said...

Jonzz, As shakespeare said, "a rose by any other name is still a rose" so copying him, "a chicken by any other name is still a chicken" heheheh ;P

u urself is a cook too :) so if you have good recipes, share share yeah :) oh, btw, guys who can cook, score high on a gal's list :) keep cooking huh!

J.T. said...

Hey Winnie

I usually don't tag bloggers but I could not let this go since you said you might try it

So, I am officially tagging you for a Music Shuffle game. :)