Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Taste of TRUE Canada Winter

The other day, "The One" and I were out running some errands and decided to drop in the Coffee Time Cafe for some warm beverages. We looked out of the windows and could see people running across the street to the bus stand. Their faces were so RED (look as if 'sun burnt' but it must be the cold air "blasting" on the skin that it felt like 'frost bites'), some of them actually ran into the Coffee Time Cafe to avoid the cold wind, got a hot drink and when they saw their bus arriving, rushed out again to hop onto the bus. Other than the freezing cold, another thing that I absoultely HATE is the static electricity felt every where (on the door knobs, sink taps, sink, laptop, fridge...) and I mean almost everywhere even when "The One" and I touch each other, sometimes we get 'shocked' with this static electric..I got so 'fearful' of these statics that I always try to remember to use a cloth or my tshirt to first 'tap' on those surfaces to 'remove' those nasty static electricity before I proceed to do what I need to! (anyone has a better idea how to 'get rid' of those static electricity???)

Anyway, it seems like the Canada winter has finally showed its true colour to me after a mild start to the season. For the past weeks, temperature in Toronto has been in the -10 to -16oC ranges and with the windchill factors (taking into consideration the wind strength) the temperatures have felt like -23oC to -28oC. In some other parts of Canada, the temperatures with the windchill factors have even gone down to -46oC! BRRRRRR....


Freezing Rain on Tree & Close up on branches
Photos Courtesy of Khalid

Some time back, I read somewhere in a 24Hours magazine that said, "Canada is the second coldest country in the world", makes me wonder where is the coldest country in the world? After a little googling on my favourite search engine Google the answer is...RUSSIA. The average annual temp in Russia is -5.5oC! Verkhoyansk, in north-central Siberia of Russia is the coldest place on the planet.

Hopefully the windchill will pass soon, for if not, I think me, the summer girl is going into hibernation for the coming few days! Hahaha


Cheerios and keep Smiling!
With Love from PoohBear

2 comments:

http://chinese.yenjai.net said...

hibernate means lie on the bed and wait for 'the one' to feed you? ^-^

winniethepooh said...

wow..tat sounds too wonderful to be TRUE yenjai..i wish i wish i wish :P still need to come out and cook man, no such good fortune